Wednesday, July 14, 2010

For the birds...

One of the big jobs at my Mother's
house is feeding the birds. When my Dad was
alive, he was basically a hummingbird whisperer.
He had about a dozen feeders with about 50 birds
a day. They were so used to him they would land
on the brim of his hat and on his shoulders when
he was filling the feeders. It was like a weird mix
of Snow White and Huckleberry Finn.
Anyway, after he died, my Mother was not interested
in spending her days filling feeders, but she could
not let go of Daddy's birds, so she only has about
6 feeders.
However, this did not seem to decrease the number
of birds. I filled the feeders everyday with over a
gallon of hummingbird food! That was of course,
after I made it :O)

Daddy's hummingbird food recipe:
4 cups of sugar
1 gallon of warm water
Stir until all of the sugar is incorporated and then
cool. Keep in the fridge...they like it cold :O)

On the last day I was filling the feeders, two birds
came and sat on my shoulder while I filled the
feeder. Love you, miss you Daddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment